Thursday, March 24, 2016

I'm trying not to panic.

So last December I had this brilliant idea:  I'll try to register for the Ice Age Trail 50 miler.  I've already done a 50K, so a 50 miler would be the next logical step, right?  And besides, that race fills up fast.  The chances of me getting in are slim.

Famous last words.

Thank you for using the website of RunRace.net to submit your event registration.
+---  Race Information  ---+
Race Name: Ice Age Trail 50 - 2016
  Location: La Grange
    State: Wisconsin, U.S.A.

+---  Event Information  ---+
Name of Event: Ice Age Trail 50 Mile
      Distance: 50
  Measurement: Miles
          Date: Saturday May 14th, 2016
    Start Time: 6:00 AM

So like any sane person, I celebrated for a moment, panicked for a moment, consulted /r/running on Reddit for a training plan, and mapped out the mileage that I'd have to accumulate over the coming months.

The training was going very well.  I hit most of my miles and got in my most important runs.  I did Crossfit a few days a week along the way and overall I felt stronger and faster than I've ever felt.

Then the littlest plague-beast came home with a bad cough.



Don't let this cuteness fool you.  This sweet little guy became a mess of respiratory gunk.  And little people loooooove to share their respiratory gunk with their mommas.  Within ten days, I was the sniffling, sneezing, aching, coughing, stuffy-headed, fevered mess that the Ny-Quil ads warned me about.  And with every deep breath I could hear the telltale wheeze-and-pop of bronchitis that I struggled with two years ago.

Shit.

A planned 50-mile week dropped to a 30 mile week, which was followed up with a 15-mile week - not exactly ultra-distances.  I consulted Dr. Google and learned that I should not run for at least two weeks, that I should run more, and that I probably have Lupus.  I followed that up with a call to Dr. Reddit who was quite encouraging, but only slightly more helpful.

But the good news is that through it all, I didn't break my runstreak, and I seem to be on the mend.  The bad news is that this took a very solid chunk out of my training.  I have a marathon in 9 days that I'm using as a training run, and the longest I've run this week is 2 miles.  I'm trying not to panic, but...



It's proving to be difficult.  

Right now, I'm going to try to get in one 10 mile run before the marathon next weekend.  I'll take it easy on marathon day and see how it goes.  If I crash and burn, I have another marathon/training run later in the month that I'll try to use to redeem myself.  

I guess I'm just going to go out there and hope for the best.  

Does anyone have any advice on training after an illness?





No comments:

Post a Comment